Friday, September 14, 2012

 

My iPhone is worth $8,700

iPhone is extremely disruptive technology. For those who are blind or have low vision the iPhone now substitutes for many technological items that used to be very expensive. For example blind individuals rarely took photographs with a digital camera. But now that they have iPhones blind people routinely will take pictures and even videos. I have compiled a list of items that my iPhone now replaces. More importantly almost everything on this list was too expensive for me to acquire previously.

Items I owned:
BookSense (mp3 player/radio/clock/recorder and portable Daisy reading device) -- $449
Talking watch - $43
Plustek Optibook 3800 scanner -- $269
Laptop computer -- $500
Digital camera with digital view finder -- $200
Video camera -- $200
Total $1,161

Items I had at work but could not afford for home use:
ZoomText magnifier/screen reader -- $599
ZoomText keyboard -- $99
Dragon NautrallySpeaking Pro voice recognition -- $599
Kurzweil 3000 (scan/read software) $1,395
Aladdin Classic video magnifier -- $1,595
FineReader Pro OCR software -- $169
Total $4,357

Items I could have really used but could not afford:
Medical Alert system -- $600/year
Handheld digital i-loview magnifier/reader -- $495
Trekker Breeze (GPS for blind) -- $930
KNFB Reader (portable scanner/OCR) -- $897
Voice Mate PDA (calendar, contacts, calculator) -- $260
Total $3,182

Grand Total $8,700

Comments:
James, thank you for sharing this list. It's great and really shows the power of the iPhone. Do you also have a list of apps that you use that specifically replace the hardware and software mentioned here?
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
James,

I am a long-time QIAT member, and I am currently writing a chapter for a new book, Mobile Pedagogy (editors Chris Penny, PhD., Douglas McConatha, Ph.D. , Jordan Schugar, Ph.D. and David Bolton, Ph.D. , West Chester University of Pennsylvania). I think your post "My iPhone is worth $8,700" would be a terrific addition to this chapter, which is titled
"The Promise of Mobile Technology and Differentiated Learning: Meeting the Needs of Students with Significant Disabilities". Would you be willing to give me permission to include the post in the chapter? I would of course attribute the work to you and reference your blog.

I must submit the chapter by September 30th. In a week or so, I will have a presentable draft I could share with you if you'd like to see the manuscript.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Ann

 
James,
I am a long-time QIAT member, and I am currently writing a chapter for a new book, Mobile Pedagogy (editors Chris Penny, PhD., Douglas McConatha, Ph.D. , Jordan Schugar, Ph.D. and David Bolton, Ph.D. , West Chester University of Pennsylvania). I think your post "My iPhone is Worth $8,700" would be a terrific addition to this chapter, which is titled
"The Promise of Mobile Technology and Differentiated Learning: Meeting the Needs of Students with Significant Disabilities". Would you be willing to give me permission to include the post in the chapter? I would of course attribute the work to you, and reference your blog.

I must submit the chapter by September 30th. In a week or so, I will have a presentable draft I could share with you if you'd like to see the manuscript.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Ann Orr
Associate Professor, Special Education
Eastern Michigan University
aorr@emich.edu

 
James,

Would you be willing to share more about the apps you've chosen for each of these?
 
Here is a link for PDF on what functions and apps I use on iPhone.
http://db.tt/qUPJyiRH
 
The link above doesn´t work anymore. Can I find the list somewhere else?
 
The link to the list doesn't work anymore. Can I find the list somewhere else?
 
Here is a link to the apps I use:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0spd3yuqs4ihybi/iPhone%20blind.pdf
 
Greetings I am so delighted I found your webpage,
I really found you by accident, while I was searching on Digg for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like
to say thanks for a remarkable post and a all round
thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to look over it all at the minute but I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the excellent job.

Here is my blog post ... Firehost testimonials
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]